When will the 2020 Census data be available?
- Limited 2020 Census data are currently available for cities and counties. The 2020 data include population, race/ethnicity, housing units, occupied/vacant units and group quarters population.
- We’ve used the 2020 Census block data to create estimates for zips/ZCTAs.
- If you buy the 2019 data now, you’ll get an email from us with updated 2020 data for no additional charge after it is released. The US Census Bureau pushed the expected 2020 data release date from December 2021 to March 2022 (details).
In August 2021, the US Census Bureau released the 2020 Census Redistricting data which includes updated data on population, race/ethnicity, housing units, occupied/vacant units and group quarters population (think college students). We’ve added these 2020 variables to the Demographics by Reports for cities and counties and created estimates for zips/ZCTAs.
2020 Data but joined with 2019 Geographies
The Demographics by Reports contain the 2019 Census geographies joined to the 2020 Census data. We’re going to wait until we have the 2020 Census American Community Survey data in March 2022 to update to the 2020 geographies, because:
- March 2022 is right around the corner, and
- 2019 geographies with 2020 data was the fastest way to get you the new Census 2020 data.
Contact us if you have any questions about the implications of this decision.
Where can I learn more?